Columbia University Student Dies in Stabbing Near Campus

A Columbia University graduate student died and another man was injured after Monday’s stabbing in upper Manhattan Thursday night, police and college officials said.

Police and friends said the student, Davide Geary, was traveling home from soccer training just before 11 p.m. when he was stabbed in the stomach two apartments from his building. He was taken to the district hospital, where he was pronounced dead.

Police have arrested a 25-year-old man in connection with the attacks and said the charges are still pending. They did not reveal his name, but said he was found inside Central Park and that he was threatening a third man with a knife.

In a letter sent out on campus on Friday morning, University President Lee C. Bollinger identified Mr. Jerry, 30, as a student in the College of Engineering and Applied Sciences and expressed his grief over his passing.

Mr Bollinger wrote: “This news is indescribably sad and deeply shocking, as it happened just steps away from our campus.” “On behalf of the entire Columbia community, I send my deepest condolences to David’s family.”

Mr. Jerry Ph.D. The computer science candidate who was expected to graduate in May began working as a research assistant in Colombia around 2016, after studying at schools in Italy and Chicago, according to his personal website.

He played football competitively for over two decades, including with an international club in New York, and also trained on classical piano.

“David was the nicest and brightest person on the team,” his football His colleagues wrote a statement Friday. “We love you man, You were a rock in defense and we are going to play and win for you because that’s what I wanted.”

in a Statement on TwitterManhattan borough chief Jill Brewer noted the proximity between the street where Mr. Jerry was attacked and the Morningside Park section several blocks away where an 18-year-old student at Barnard College was stabbed in 2019.

requester, Tessa Majors, after she was attacked by three teenagers in an armed robbery. Her death shocked students on the adjacent two campuses and residents of the neighbourhood.

Ms Brewer said she was “deeply saddened” by the death of Mr. Jerry, “who took his life from us so soon”.

“David, as I understand it, came to us from Italy,” she wrote. “His students successfully nominated him for the Teaching Award. Fellow students, department. And the university and family must be destroyed in his tragic death. I share in that grief and devastation.”

For Max Crownover, a pre-baccalaureate student at Columbia, the death of Mrs. Majors – which occurred nearly two years earlier – cast a similar shadow over the murder of Mr. Jerry.

“I was shocked but not surprised – and it makes me angry,” said Mr. Crown Over, 23. “This is not the first time a violent act has occurred.”

“The safety of Columbia students is at risk, and the responsibility to take action lies with Columbia University, and I hope they do,” he added.

School officials said On Friday afternoon, more safety patrols will be added to several off-campus streets. Additional workers from the parks and police departments will also be temporarily stationed in Morningside Park, Officials said.

After Mr Jerry was attacked, his attacker traveled south and stabbed a tourist from Italy who was expected to survive, police said.

The man, 27, who was spending his first day in New York, was shot in his trunk near the northwest entrance to Central Park, several blocks away from the initial stabbing.

The separate attacks, which police said they believed were unprovoked, rocked the neighborhood.

When students and staff entered the building on the campus where Mr. Jerry worked, and walked through other nearby areas, some said they hadn’t heard of the attack yet.

But Jacob Solomon is a first-year Ph.D. A student at Columbia University, he said he learned of Mr. Jerry’s death as soon as he woke up Friday. He said there was a sense of helplessness among some of the students, who were afraid of falling victim to a similar random attack.

“It was just an unprovoked stabbing which is, I think, more worrying,” said Mr. Solomon, 23.

Another student, Hswanth Venkatavijian, said he lives across the street from where Mr. Jerry was stabbed and walked there about half an hour before it happened.

“I don’t know what would have happened if I had been here later,” said Mr. Venkatavejian, 22.

Nicole Alexander, a Morningside Heights resident, said she walks at the intersection while commuting to work. She said she had long been concerned about the area.

Ms. Alexander, 51, said: “There’s always a lot going on here. When I get home, I stay inside, because I know how it is.”

Leave a Comment